ADSM-L

Re: tsm client is down-level with this server version

2002-08-29 17:30:10
Subject: Re: tsm client is down-level with this server version
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:12:44 -0400
Roger, when I had to untangle the unicode cooties, I contacted
level 1 & then 2 and got the unsupported commands to do it.
But they also told me that an export, delete node, import process
would do the trick to because the one nasty bit wasn't exported
or wasn't imported or something to that effect.

If the nodes aren't too big, this may be a simple way to solve
the problem without interacting with the users.

Hope this helps,

Bill

At 12:03 PM 8/29/2002, you wrote:
>We've got half a dozen clients stuck like this right now. The first case
>I had was an important, tenured, and extremely impatient professor who
>had converted from Win 98 to Win XP, decided that XP "stinks", and
>wanted to format his hard drive and restore his comfortable old Win 98
>system from ITSM. (This is what backup is for, right?) Because this was
>basically a point-in-time restore, deleting the node was not a possible
>strategy. He was incredulous that it took me several days of
>communication with IBM support to straighten it out and peppered me with
>emails demanding that I work faster on it the whole time I was
>exchanging special commands and their outputs.
>
>The second was an aggressively confused user who was backing up two
>computers using one node, and who thereby un-did the fix mere hours
>after I had spent several hours with IBM Support fixing it. I refused to
>fix it again for this user and made their node restore-only until I
>communicated with their supervisor about our one computer per node
>policies.
>
>I have not even begun to figure out the rest, because I know it is a
>huge black hole for my time. Before I even call Support, I've got to
>reach each end-user and figure out how they caused this, to insure that
>they don't inadvertently un-do it after we (me and Support) spend
>several hours fixing it.
>
>Those who would want to try the solution on their own are misguided; it
>cannot be done - Andy Raibeck is absolutely correct in this regard. You
>must call Tivoli Support, but while they will be able to help, it will
>be a lengthly and complicated process. Budget several hours per case.
>And type carefully!!!
>
>I really wish the existence of a correcting APAR was made more public.
>I'm going to install it soon (today!), but I'll still have those half
>dozen clients who appear to have "unicode cooties" to untangle.
>
>Would it be possible to provide a safe and tested script, or an APAR
>that introduces a new secret command, that can untangle this mess in
>some automated way? The current method of fixing it is way too costly.
>
>Roger Deschner      University of Illinois at Chicago     rogerd AT uic DOT edu

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Cambridge Ma.