ADSM-L

Re: missing volumes

2002-08-29 09:43:07
Subject: Re: missing volumes
From: GUILLAUMONT Etienne <eguillau AT RGB-TECHNOLOGIE DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:26:28 +0200
This is one of the reasons why I don't use scratch volumes, I prefer to
assign each volume a storage pool. So even when the volume is empty, it
still belongs to the pool and can be seen by a q vol . The other advantage
is that you control very precisely the utilisation of each tape. I must
admit that I have a small configuration with about 40 tapes and that it
could not be as easy with hundreds of tapes. For me, the only disadvantage
of that solution is that you have to manage yourself the occupancy of your
storagepools and add volumes when needed instead of letting TSM taking care
of that with the scratch tapes. On the other side, you can be sure that you
won't have a storage pool taking all the scratch tapes while you need them
more in an other storage pool. But most of time, people oversize a bit
their library so that they don't have such problems.

Etienne GUILLAUMONT
e-mail : etienne AT rgb-technologie DOT fr

RGB Technologie
Parc d'Innovation, Batiment PYTHAGORE
11 Rue Jean SAPIDUS
67400 ILLKIRCH
Tél :  03 90 40 60 60
Fax : 03 90 40 60 61

                    Henrik

                    Wahlstedt            To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    <shwl@STATOIL        cc:

                    .COM>                Subject:     Re: missing volumes

                    Sent by:

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA

                    RIST.EDU>

                    29/08/02

                    14:57

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

I do, but if I for some reason only get 9 of 10 volumes back  where
access=offsite and status=empty, and I did not notice that one is missing.
Following will happen after I checked in my 9 volumes and vol 000146 is not
checked in.

After a time, how would I know that my missing volume is vol 000146?

tsm: STO-W03>q vol st=emp

Volume Name               Storage      Device      Estimated    Pct
Volume
                          Pool Name    Class Name   Capacity   Util
Status
                                                        (MB)
------------------------  -----------  ----------  ---------  -----
--------
000146                    COPYPOOL     DLTCLASS          0.0    0.0   Empty

tsm: STO-W03>upd vol 000146 access=readw wherestg=copypool
whereaccess=offsite w
herestatus=empty
ANR2208I Volume 000146 deleted from storage pool COPYPOOL.

tsm: STO-W03>q vol 000146
ANR2034E QUERY VOLUME: No match found using this criteria.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

tsm: STO-W03>q libv stk9710 000146
ANR2034E QUERY LIBVOLUME: No match found using this criteria.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

//Henrik

                    GUILLAUMONT Etienne
                    <eguillau@RGB-TECHN        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    OLOGIE.FR>                 cc:     (bcc: Henrik
Wahlstedt)
                    Sent by: "ADSM:            Subject:     Re: missing
volumes
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <[email protected]

                    2002-08-29 14:01
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Why don't you just check the volumes whose access is offsite and whose
status is empty ? This is what I do.  And to be sure that all volumes
present in library are in an readwrite status, I just put all the volumes
of the copypool in offsite state and then all the volumes of the libvol in
readwrite state. For that, I use a Shell script which is below.
The only thing which is special is that I only have private volumes and all
the volumes of my copy pool have a name starting with 'COP'
But I guess it wouldn't be very difficult to make a check on the libvol
volumes to select the ones which belong to the copy pool

#!/bin/ksh
LIBVOLS=$(dsmadmc -id=admin -pa=admin "select volume_name from libvolumes
where volume_name like 'C%'" | grep COP)
TOTVOLS=$(dsmadmc -id=admin -pa=admin "select volume_name from volumes
where volume_name like 'C%'" | grep COP)
for VOL in $TOTVOLS
do
     dsmadmc -id=admin -pa=admin "upd vol $VOL acc=offsite"
done
for VOL in $LIBVOLS
do
     dsmadmc -id=admin -pa=admin "upd vol $VOL acc=readw"
done

Etienne GUILLAUMONT
e-mail : etienne AT rgb-technologie DOT fr

RGB Technologie
Parc d'Innovation, Batiment PYTHAGORE
11 Rue Jean SAPIDUS
67400 ILLKIRCH
Tél :  03 90 40 60 60
Fax : 03 90 40 60 61

                    Henrik

                    Wahlstedt            To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    <shwl@STATOIL        cc:

                    .COM>                Subject:     missing volumes

                    Sent by:

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA

                    RIST.EDU>

                    29/08/02

                    12:45

                    Please

                    respond to

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

Hello,

I would like to know how to compare volume names in volumes and libvolumes
with a select statement. Or if there are other ways to determine missing
volumes? I use 4.1.3.0.

ex. I dont use DRM but I send my volumes offsite and update their access to
offsite. I bring back my volumes onsite, I do a checkin and an 'upd vol *
access=readw wherestg=copypool whereaccess=offsite wherestatus=empty'.

If the volumes arent checked in the library or by some reason still are
offsite when they are updated I will miss/need them sooner or later... How
do I find eventually missing volumes?

Dont suggest using DRM, I will if there is a need for that product (server
to server).

tia
\\Henrik

this message.