ADSM-L

Re: Question on what to back up...

2002-08-27 23:09:41
Subject: Re: Question on what to back up...
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 11:01:08 +1000
Theresa,

Its vital NOT to backup the TSM database and stgpools with TSM.  You will blow
out your tape usage with useless data, and this may impact TSM operations for
other clients.

In your dsm.sys file, exclude the TSM db, log and diskpools.  Ideally they will
be in separate filesystems so exclude.fs will be the way to go.
make sure that you run backup volhist and backup devconfig daily and move the
resulting files off to the rootvg and ideally another machine somewhere. Do
this with dsmserv.dsk also

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but its also a good idea to run a
dataless savevg of all vgs to the rootvg periodically, say just before your
weekly mksysb is run.

Then the restore sequence for a disaster is
restore mksysb image
restore VG setups from images on rootvg
restore TSM database
define logs, diskpools etc as necessary
start tsm and restore client data as necessary

HTH

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health
Brisbane Australia.

>>> IFMC.tsarver AT SDPS DOT ORG 28/08/2002 2:44:27 >>>
Hi All;

This may seem like an obvious question, but for some reason I'm having some
trouble with it.  The way this system was setup Tivoli is backing it's own
(UNIX) database and log files...and thus the backup fails every morning due to
changing [TSM] log files.

1)  Should these files be backed up at all?  I mean if you have to restore -
you're restoring from a db [tape] backup...right?  So can I just exclude these
TSM log/db files?
2)  If these db/log files should be backed up, wouldn't it make more sense to
have AIX/sysback back them up rather than Tivoli?  As you can't restore these
files anyway if Tivoli's offline.

Thanks for the help;
Theresa

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.