ADSM-L

Re: Backup of 300 GB Data within 12 Hours

2002-08-26 18:28:34
Subject: Re: Backup of 300 GB Data within 12 Hours
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:24:23 -5
On 26 Aug 2002 at 9:00, Kauffman, Tom wrote:
> I do a 650+ GB SAP/R3 database in 2 hours 40 minutes. TSM and SAP on
> RS/6000 systems (660-6M1 now, was S7A two weeks ago). All disk is IBM
> ESS and the backups run over two dedicated Gigabit ethernet networks
> to four IBM LTO tape drives. No compression on the client. The restore
> runs in about 5 hours. The files average about 10 MB each, as TSM sees
> them (1.6 GB objects, six-way multiplexing).

I'm a little confused by your configuration. . . .

650gb database in 10mb files?  That would be 65000 files.  Did you
mean 10gb/file?

1.6gb objects?  Doesn't tsm see the individual files?  Are you doing
raw backups of the filesystems?

six-way multiplexing?  I didn't think tsm supported multiplexing
(multiple datastreams concurrently onto one tape), or is this
something else? Is this something brbackup does?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm interested in your specifics, since
we will be backing some very large SAP databases to LTO in the near
future.

Thanks

Rick