ADSM-L

Re: SpectraLogic Gator 64000

2002-08-23 13:26:54
Subject: Re: SpectraLogic Gator 64000
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:28:05 -0600
        I had to look up "heritaring" in a dictionary, but it means to
inherit. ;-)

        Good question. I recently saw a sales pitch on the Gator and my
management loved the idea. Especially the smaller footprint/GB that you can
get out of it (compared to our 3590E drives). It had the Sony AIT (AIT2 or
3) drives in it, which made me kind of nervous, but of course the salesman
said it's just as good/reliable/fast/etc as the 3590 drives at about 1/3 of
the cost of a 3494 library....

        I read on this forum that AIT has problems with back-hitching when
doing many little files, but the salesman said "hogwash" (a direct quote).
That the AIT is BETTER than the 3590 at small writes....

        We have a big investment in 3494 libraries, so I'm pushing to
upgrade to the 3590H drives rather than switch technology.

Ben