ADSM-L

rman with TDP oralce incremental backup very slow

2002-08-22 21:58:59
Subject: rman with TDP oralce incremental backup very slow
From: Kunio Miyazawa <miyazawa AT SRA.CO DOT JP>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:26:39 +0200
Hi,

I'm trying to get backup of 100G Oracle database by rman with TDP.
When I get level 0 incremental backup, the performance is approximately 1G/min.
OK, it's acceptable speed.
However when I get level 3, the performance is 10M/min. I've never waited until
finish.
Is this oracle problem or tsm problem?

I'm using LAN(over SP switch) and SAN environments.
both environments are same that level 0 is fast and level 3 is extreme slow.

AIX4.3.3 ML8
TSM server 4.2.1.9
TDP 2.2.0.1
Oracle 8.1.7.1 (used by Oracle Applications 11.5)
Database size is 100G. (over 400 data files)

my script is as follows....

case `date +%a` in
Sun) LEVEL=0 ;;
Wed) LEVEL=1 ;;
*) LEVEL=3 ;;
esac

DTAG=`date '+${sid}_%Y%m%d%H%M'`
TDPO=tdpo.opt

rman << -
connect target /
connect catalog rman/xxx@catalog
startup force dba;
shutdown immediate;
startup mount;
run {
allocate channel t1 type 'sbt_tape' parms
  'ENV=(TDPO_OPTFILE=$TDPO)';
backup
        incremental level $LEVEL
        filesperset 200
        format 'df_%t_%s_%p'
        tag '$DTAG'
        database;
release channel t1;
}
shutdown immediate;
-

dsm.sys is as follows... (for LAN environment)

Servername              SERV1
Nodename                NODE1
Commmethod              tcpip
Tcpport                 1500
SHMPORT                 1510
Tcpserveraddress        10.0.0.1
TCPNODELAY              YES
TXNBYTELIMIT            25600
TCPBUFFSIZE             32
TCPWINDOWSIZE           640

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
thanks.

miyazawa
SRA Europe B.V.