ADSM-L

Re: Backup of 300 GB Data within 12 Hours

2002-08-22 12:53:13
Subject: Re: Backup of 300 GB Data within 12 Hours
From: "Cowperthwaite, Eric" <eric.cowperthwaite AT EDS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:42:50 -0500
Hi Sascha,

We backup 400+ GB of data from one database and ~200 GB from a second. Both
databases are Oracle, one is a Datamart with a low rate of change and the
smaller is an OLTP hybrid with daily change. We use RMAN and TDPO for the
backups. We execute a cumulative 0 once per month for the large database.
For the smaller database we do a cumulative 1 every week and a cumulative 0
monthly. Our LAN is setup so that we have a production network for the
clients to connect to the servers and an administrative/developer/DBA
network. We push all of our backups through the admin network. We can backup
the large database in 8 hours. We collocate by node and since we have unique
nodes for each Oracle database this means that we effectively collocate by
filespace. The larger database occupies four DLT IVC tapes. Our tape library
has four drives. Based on our testing, published throughput rates for the
DLT drives and 100 Mbps Ethernet we feel confident that we could restore the
database in about 10 hours.

Hope this helps,

Eric W. Cowperthwaite
Senior System Administrator