ADSM-L

DB size, multiple servers and sharing 3590s

2002-08-20 15:59:39
Subject: DB size, multiple servers and sharing 3590s
From: Brecton Whitten <bwhitten AT UABMC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:21:11 -0500
Hi all,

  I know that this has been discussed a lot on this
list, but I'm hoping someone has crossed this specific
set of bridges before.

Configuration - TSM 4.2.2 running under AIX 4.3 on an
H50 with 2 G of ram.
One ATM nic and one GigE nic.
Two ( soon to be 4 ) 3590E drives native attached in a
3494 using J tapes. Drives RS232 attached.
140 clients ( AIX, Solaris, NT, Netware ).
DB is 78 Gig, taking 2.5 hours for a full backup and roughly
18 hours to restore.

  We are thinking about creating a second server on the
same box to reduce DB backup/restore time. I know that
there are a lot of issues with sharing of scratch tape pools
and tape drives between servers. Here are my questions:

Is 78 Gig considered large for a TSM DB and at what size
should it be divided ?

Is there a better way to divide than by OS? ( Stg. pools are
already divided in that manner ).

If we define all tape devices to each server and split online/
offline between them, then checkin/checkout vols to each
server as needed, do we really need to have separate categories
for each server on the 3494?

If a tape is checked in to serverA ( therefore unknown to serverB ),
would serverB be able to overwrite it?

 Sorry for the length of this and the rehashing of this topic, but any
response would be appreciated.

                                                          Thanks in
advance,
                                                           Brec