ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: Data transfer rates with TSM for OS/390

2002-08-20 15:59:32
Subject: Re: Antwort: Data transfer rates with TSM for OS/390
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:03:12 -0500
Michael Heiermann wrote:

this is the maximum for one server (LotusNotes-data)

Total number of bytes transferred:   127.49 GB
Data transfer time:                63,359.72 sec
Network data transfer rate:        2,110.02 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:      4,089.06 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                    0%
Elapsed processing time:           09:04:54

we backup approx. 50 Clients (Win, AIX) with 250 GB each night from 6 p.m until
6 a.m.
we use OS/390-TSM and 2 OSA-FastEthernetAdapters.

Good luck !

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail
in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material
in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.
the views of Linde Material Handling.

Since January 2002 we use the e-mail domain linde-mh.de instead
of linde-fh.de.

This mail has been swept for the presence of computerviruses.

Hi,

I have a question about your report above.  How can you have an :

Aggregate data transfer rate:      4,089.06 KB/sec

which is greater than the :

Network data transfer rate:        2,110.02 KB/sec

I may be confused but I thought the aggregate time included all the
network time plus all the additional overhead time.  I did a real quick
survey on my nodes and found that all my network rates are faster than
my aggregates which is what I would expect.

Anyway, I am just curious how that happens.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE