ADSM-L

Re: Parallel Backup Paths for TDP R/3

2002-08-20 14:04:57
Subject: Re: Parallel Backup Paths for TDP R/3
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:46:24 -0500
Joel --

Two items.

First, in order to use parallel paths, you have to split your MAX_SESSIONS
between them. If yo really want to run just seven sessions, then server_a
should be set for 4 ( or 3) sessions. The sessions get allocated in the
server_stanza order, so leaving server_b at 8 allows for up to 8 sessions
even if the server is not answering at server_a.

Second, in order to use two network interfaces for outbound traffic they
need to be on seperate *networks*. If your netmask isn't 255.255.255.128 or
higher on these two interfaces the traffic will all go out on the
lowest-numbered IP address; restores would all be by the 10.10.10.1
interface.

I'm doing this currently; my 'public' (open to the corporation) network is
10.8.X.X; my internal SAP Database Access network is 192.168.196.X (these
are both 100 Mb), and my two backup networks are 192.168.194.X and
192.168.195.X respectively.

Ethernet cards and backplane slots are cheap, in the great scheme of things,
so all my RS/6000 gear is coming in with at least 5 network interfaces (I
also have an admin network that grew out of the old SP 'reliable ethernet'
at 192.168.193.X).

HTH --

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc