ADSM-L

Restore filesystem to directory on AIX-client

2002-08-20 14:02:48
Subject: Restore filesystem to directory on AIX-client
From: brian welsh <brianwelsh3 AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:53:03 +0200
Hello,

Server AIX 4.2.x , Client AIX 4.2.1.x

Long time ago we back-up AIX-client file-systems from one particular client,
like /home, /usr, /u01, /u02 and so on. The system was out of service for a
few months and now back in business. The last active versions are still on
our TSM-server and we like to restore them (for some reasons) to a directory
on another machine.

We want to restore to file-system '/tsm_archive' to directory
'/node_archive'. We start the restore of the above-mentioned file-systems to
the following location:  /tsm_archive/node_archive and like to restore the
complete path.

We tried several ways but every session is restoring the files in /home,
/usr and so on to /tsm_archive/node_archive, but without directory /home,
/usr and so on. Sub-directories are restored in the right way. I guess it
have to deal with the fact that /home, /usr, /u01 and so on were
file-systems once and now we like to 'see' it as a directory. I accept it,
but is there a sneaky way to restore the file-system to a directory and
preserve the original structure.

Thanks,

Brian.