ADSM-L

Re: 2 drives are required for LTO?

2002-08-17 14:22:52
Subject: Re: 2 drives are required for LTO?
From: Don France <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 11:28:37 -0700
Workable copy pools is *possible*, provided all primary storage pool is on
disk;  that is, all backups go to disk pool, which is sufficiently large to
hold all the versions for retention... and never does migration!

I've had to do this (and more) for a capital equipment-constrained customer;
12 locations around the world, getting the "same" equipment (from Dell) for
service replacement purposes.  Most sites had two drives (one in each 120T),
one site had two drives in a single library (130T), but TWO SITES WITH
SINGLE DRIVE LIBRARY needing onsite backups got 105 GB disk pool (sufficient
to provide 14-day point-in-time restore for approx. 55-65 GB, depends on
daily turnover)... so, with six usable slots, we configured 2-slots for
onsite copypool, 2-slots for offsite copypool, 2 slots for db-backups.

Reclamation was done as if both copy pools were offsite, so fresh tapes
would be cut from the primary disk pool -- so, single drive reclamation was
not required. For the 1-drive, 2-library sites, single drive reclamation was
done AND it worked just fine (using 100 GB disk pool, scheduled for weekends
after disk migration)... all these sites ran fine for over two years, the
only true "glitches" were due to onsite tape management needing occasional
assistance with their DRM actions.  Also, turns out, we rarely had tape
drive failure after the initial install/burn-in period -- even then, we had
less than 5 drives fail across all 12 sites.

NOT the *best* answers, but these configurations did allow us a lights-out
environment --- biggest caveat is when (not if) the drive goes down, no
backups to tape (slightly mitigated by using LAN to store db-backups off to
another server).

Yes, running with less than 3 drives is a challenge, but a lights-out setup
*can* be done with only 1 drive PLUS a large disk pool for the primary
storage pool!

(My motto, had to be: "If you bring money, we can solve"!!!)

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)