ADSM-L

Re: Restore backupset take very long

2002-08-13 12:15:25
Subject: Re: Restore backupset take very long
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:10:47 -0400
>Will I see restore improvement on
>backupsets created with version 4.1.x.x by upgrading to 5.1 or will I
only
>see improvement on backupsets created with 5.1?

I am migrating from MVS TSM 4.2 to AIX TSM 5.1.  As part of that
process, I am changing from backupsets to move nodedata as the means to
consolidate selected filespaces onto a minimum number of tapes.  The
generate backupsets were taking nearly 24 hours to run but the
equivalent move nodedata ran in under an hour.  I don't know how much of
that improvement is due to the MVS -> AIX move, how much due to TSM 4.2
-> 5.1, and how much is due to backupset -> move nodedata.  I do think
it would be worth your while to do the test in your environment to see
if it helps.

David