ADSM-L

Re: Incremental Backup (full/partial)

2002-08-13 00:16:17
Subject: Re: Incremental Backup (full/partial)
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 23:14:28 -0500
Andy Raibeck wrote:

Mark,

We've been discussing this internally amongst ourselves, and the client
and server books are definitely out of sync. We will look into getting
them corrected, and updating this forum with the final answer.

Just to clarify a couple of points:

- When incremental-by-date is used to back up a file system, the last
backup date for the file space IS updated.

- In an earlier post on this thread, you said, "All PIT restores a
relative to the previous LID, i.e. if the LID is 8/8/02 4:00 and you do a
PIT restore specifying a pitdate and pittime of 8/8/02 8:00 it will roll
back to the previous LID of 8/8/02 4:00." I'm not sure I really understand
what you are getting at. When doing a point-in-time restore, if a backup
version meets the point-in-time criteria, then it will be restored
regardless of what method was used to back it up. PIT restore keys off the
date/time the backup version was created, not when the file system was
backed up. So if the LID was 08/08/2002 04:00, but at 06:00 someone
subsequently backed up some additional files, then a PIT restore using
date/time criteria of, say, 08/08/2002 07:00 would restore the backup
versions created at 06:00. The volume's LID isn't really relevant.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

"Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
08/12/2002 15:15