ADSM-L

Re: 7337 DLT Lib and Volume Management

2002-08-12 18:30:39
Subject: Re: 7337 DLT Lib and Volume Management
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:29:04 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Theresa Sarver
> Anyone out there know anything about the 7337 DLT libs?

Yes.

>The library is
>housing 15 tapes total...however when I do a 'q libv'  I only see
>13 tapes.

Assuming you *know* there are 15 tapes in the library, run

        AUDIT LIBRARY <library_name> checklabel=barcode

If there are 15 tapes in the library, Q LIBV will now show 15 tapes.

>Also, my 'q libv' and 'q vol' don't match up - for
>instance the 'q vol' shows a tape (DSM010) as empty, however, the
>'q libv' doesn't even show the tape in the library.

Q VOLUME shows all tape (and disk) volumes that belong to a storage pool; Q
LIBVOLUME shows all tapes that are physically present in a library, whether
they are private (i.e., belong to a storage pool or are database backups or
backupsets) or scratch (i.e., blank as far as TSM is concerned).

>Does TSM write to these "Fixed Cell" tapes as well? - Or just the 10
>tapes in the Magazine?

It will make use of any non-cleaning tape that it is aware of in the
library.

> Lastly, the compression setting (if there is one) doesn't appear
> to be correct.  These tapes are 35/70GB, however I only have 2
> tapes out of 9 that are getting 70GB - the rest are getting
> around 35GB (q vol).  Anyone know of where I can look to resolve
> this issue?

There are no issues to resolve. The amount of compression in a tape volume
is dependent on the type of data stored in it. If there is a large
percentage of text (ascii) data, it will compress to a much greater extent
than binary data, such as database files or executables. In a 35/70 tape, 35
is the *typical* minimum, and 70 is the *typical* maximum. I've seen 35/70
DLT tapes get as much as 100Gb of data in them; I've never seen them get
less than 35GB.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE