ADSM-L

Re: subfilebackup: what may I be missing to get it work?

2002-08-07 12:46:04
Subject: Re: subfilebackup: what may I be missing to get it work?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:45:54 -0400
As your base and meta files are being created in the cache directory, it is
probably working OK.

The FIRST time it does subfile backup, it has to create the "base" file, so
that backup will be as large as a regular incremental.
It's the NEXT backup where you get the benefit.

We also see that in dsmsched.log, the "bytes sent" count ("date time Normal
File ---->   nnnnnnn")  shows the full size of the file, as though the whole
file were sent, even though only the subfile is sent.  Same result in the
GUI for each individual file.  I think this is a bug, but haven't tried to
report it.

However, in the statistic summary at the end of the incremental backup, I
see the total bytes ("Total number of bytes transferred")  is smaller, as
you would expect.