ADSM-L

Re: Occupancy comparison script

2002-08-06 06:50:28
Subject: Re: Occupancy comparison script
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 05:49:48 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Terry Phelps
> Yesterday, I wrote a Python script on my AIX TSM server that does a "q
> occupancy" and does some simple analysis on the results. I have the
> (probably) normal pools: BACKUPPOOL, TAPEPOOL, and COPYPOOL. My script
> simply verifies that for every filesystem, the number of files in
> COPYPOOL equals the sum of the number of files in BACKUPPOOL and TAPEPOOL.

This is why

        backup stg diskpool tapecopypool1 preview=yes   (1)

and

        backup stg tapepool1 tapecopypool1 preview=yes  (2)

are your friends. They can guarantee that everything that's in your diskpool
(1) and in your primary tape pool (2) is duplicated in your copypool. They
don't require external scripting tools, they don't put a load on the CPU
(well, not much anyway).

A customer told me the other day that they were behind in copypool creation,
and wanted to know how far behind they were. It took the system about 10
minutes to tell me that they were 2.8 TB behind. (And with a bunch of manual
20/40 DLT drives, that's a lotta tape and a lotta time for catchup.)

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE