ADSM-L

Re: disk caching and pct util

2002-08-04 22:05:22
Subject: Re: disk caching and pct util
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 19:03:42 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Michelle DeVault
> I know that as client backups occur the cached files
> are cleared out as needed.  Is there a way to limit
> the amount of space in the backup pool that is used
> for cached files, or a way to selectively clear out
> some of it?  The database Pct Util is affected by the
> amount of files in cache, right?  I'd like to see that
> number go down a little, if possible.

There is not a correlation between disk cache and the cache hit percentage
of the db.

The TSM db is initially loaded into RAM on the TSM server. Whenever a change
is made that needs to be written to the db, the change is made in the
memory-resident portion of the db whenever. The cache hit pct is the
percentage of total db reads/writes that occur to that version of the db.
The higher the percentage, the faster the throughput (since RAM is faster
than physical disk).

There is not a way to clear out a portion of the disk cache, it not being a
RAM cache.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE