ADSM-L

Re: TSM backing up in a DMZ zone.

2002-08-02 16:10:41
Subject: Re: TSM backing up in a DMZ zone.
From: William Rosette <Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:01:28 -0400
HI TSMr's,

      I have a DMZ Zone going in this Tuesday and they are asking me (TSM
admin) to see if TSM can backup servers/clients in the DMZ zone.  I have
heard some talk on this ADSM user group about that very thing.  We are
going to be using a Cisco Pix Firewall and eventually use a Nokia
Checkpoint.  I gave them some options but I want to know if there are any
more options that y'all might have.  Here are the ones I suggested.

1. Put a TSM remote server in the DMZ and share the library (3494) with the
other server.
2. Since most clients (NT & Linux servers) backup in 5 to 15 minutes and
will not need to be backed up maybe once a week, open an obscure port once
a week for 30 minutes for all backups.
3. Port access through Cisco script when backup happens.
4. Direct connect to TSM server.

I understand that probably each one has its security leaks and some more
than others.  Is there someone who can share a good DMZ SLA?

Thank You,
Bill Rosette
Data Center/IS/Papa Johns International
WWJD