ADSM-L

Réf. : Re: Backup of Win2`K Fileserver

2002-08-02 10:39:20
Subject: Réf. : Re: Backup of Win2`K Fileserver
From: Guillaume Gilbert <guillaume.gilbert AT DESJARDINS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:37:16 -0400
Hey there

Well it appears the sysadmin didn't tell me everything. The ethernet card was
set at auto detect. They will set it to 100mbs Full Duplex and the performance
should be
much better. Also I renamed the old filespace to match the new. That's a very
good tip that I didn't think of. Thank you very much.

Guillaume Gilbert
CGI Canada

Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 2002-08-01 03:32:39

Veuillez répondre à "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Envoyé par :   "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Pour :    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc :
Objet :   Re: Backup of Win2`K Fileserver

Hi,

identify your bottleneck.
It is not obvious what it is.
Your backup times were sub-standard even a couple years ago.

Some tips:
 - check using FTP your network
 - check the perform,ance of your SAN drives
        - copy a part of your NT drive either into NUL or on another SAN
drive, how long will it take?,
        - look at the drive lights when backing-up, by this speed they
should only occasionaly light
        - look at the CPU on you file server during the backup, at this
speed it should be well under 10%
        - if CPU is near 100%, disable compressing
 - check your server, even with 4 CPU´s the database performance could be
the bottleneck
        - copy a part of your NT file system on a drive local to TSM server
n back it up from there,
        how long will it take?
        If long, the database might be the bottleneck,
      in this case add spindles to your server and spread the database among
them
        and check whether the physical and logical drives on your scsi
controller have caching on
        (WRITE-BACK, not WRITE-THROUGH)

 - ressourceutilisation 10 -- if you have more NT drives to backup, using
this setting they will be backed up in paralell,
 maybe this kills your ressources

 - TCPWindowsize 63 -- setting it larger could improve network speed if this
is the bottleneck, have a look at older postings

 - etc.

good luck

Juraj