ADSM-L

Backup of Win2`K Fileserver

2002-07-31 16:34:01
Subject: Backup of Win2`K Fileserver
From: Guillaume Gilbert <guillaume.gilbert AT DESJARDINS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:30:35 -0400
Hello

I have a BIG performance problem with the backup of a win2k fileserver. It used
to be pretty long before but it was managable. But now the sysadmins put it on
a compaq
storageworks SAN. By doing that they of course changed the drive letter. Now it
has to do a full backup of that drive. The old drive had  1,173,414 files and
120 GB  of
data according to q occ. We compress at the client. We have backup retention
set to 2-1-NL-30. The backup had been running for 2 weeks!!! when we cancelled
it to try to
tweak certain options in dsm.opt. The client is at 4.2.1.21 and the server is
at 4.1.3 (4.2.2.7 in a few weeks). Network is 100 mb. I know that journal
backups will help
but as long as I don't get a full incremental in it doesn't do me any good.
Some of the settings in dsm.opt :

TCPWindowsize 63
TxnByteLimit 256000
TCPWindowsize 63
compressalways yes
RESOURceutilization 10
CHAngingretries 2

The network card is set to full duplex. I wonder if an FTP test with show some
Gremlins in the network...?? Will try it..

I'm certain the server is ok. It's a F80 with 4 processors and 1.5 GB of RAM,
though I can't seem to get the cache hit % above 98. my bufpoolsize is 524288.
DB is 22 GB
73% utilized.

I'm really stumped and I would appreciate any help

Thanks

Guillaume Gilbert