ADSM-L

Re: Migration transaction aborted

2002-07-30 01:34:20
Subject: Re: Migration transaction aborted
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 00:30:54 -0500
TSM is very good about recovering from such things with its
comit-rollback logic. The files that didn't make it onto the tape,
including the one which was in the process of being copied when the
error occured, were not deleted from the disk storage pool. TSM was
designed to survive a power failure crash and not lose anything. When it
says "some tranactions may fail", it means that it will try those
transactions again later. But nothing is lost; this is an area of basic
good design where TSM truly shines.

To clean things up, you might want to MOVE DATA on the tape in question.
If that succeeds, the tape itself is probably good, and MOVE DATA will
return it to the scratch pool. If MOVE DATA fails, you've got a bad
tape, which you will need to recreate from the copy storage pool. You
might not even need to do anything, because if this failure occured
partway through filling this tape, it is only partly full, and therefore
it will likely be reclaimed very soon.

================ UIC - Located on Historic US Route 66 =================