ADSM-L

Adventures sharing/connecting 3494 ATL to TSM AIX system

2002-07-29 14:08:08
Subject: Adventures sharing/connecting 3494 ATL to TSM AIX system
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:06:02 -0400
We are having an adventure trying to configure a 3494 ATL and 3590-FC
drives to be used by TSM on an AIX server.  Never having done this kind of
configuration before, we are having lots of issues and questions.

Existing configuration is a 3494 ATL with 6-3490 and 8-3590 ESCON attached
drives, up until now only used by our OS/390 system.

We have installed 3-3590E1A drives with FC connections to an existing SAN.
 This part seems to be working since the SAN configuration tools see the
drives, just fine. At first they wouldn't work since IBM left the devices
with no addresses/offline. Fixed that. However we still have a call into
IBM to see what else they might have left configured incorrectly.

IBM finally got the ethernet connection/card working so we can PING and
talk to the Library Manager. LM has been configured with the IP (private)
address and name of the TSM AIX box/server (running latest, V5.1).

Ran through all the processes to configure the LM and 3590 drives
(/dev/lmcp0 and /dev/rmt1-3).

MTLIB -qS says there are 17 devices (OS390 connected 14 + 3-FC). Yet we
can't access the tape drives since we can't seem to configure the 3590
drives as being part of the ATL (any suggestions would be helpful !!).

Also, we seem to have some issues with the CATEGORY ?  This too is
unfamiliar to us since we have never had to deal with this. Earlier
attempts at getting the TSM AIX server to mount/initialize a tape we
inserted into the ATL issued:

        ANR8846E Volume 070000 is assigned to a category that does not
belong to library 3494ATL.

So, some of my questions:

1.   How does one control the CATEGORY assigned to tapes we stick into the
ATL.  As for the OS390 side, CA-1 won't let those tapes be used by it
since it is outside of the controlled ranged. Also, since OS390 does
recognize the tape as being inserted, I planned to just manually update
the SMS info for these tapes to mark them as all being PRIVATE.  Anything
wrong with this idea ?

I took the default Private (300) and Scratch (301) categories when
defining the ATL.

2.  Do I need to LABEL all of the tapes I insert for these drives to use ?

3.  Do I still have to go through the CHECKIN process eventhough it is in
an ATL ?

4.  Is there something on the Library Manager that needs to be configured
to control access to the 3590-FC tapes (these are the only "K" type drives
we have and thus should be the only devices that use the "K" tapes).

Zoltan Forray
Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University - University Computing Center
e-mail: zforray AT vcu DOT edu  -  voice: 804-828-4807