ADSM-L

Disaster recovery with copy storage pools.

2002-07-26 13:37:56
Subject: Disaster recovery with copy storage pools.
From: John C Dury <jdury AT DQE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:36:13 -0400
     We currently have 2 TSM servers. TSM1 which holds the data backups of
all the fileservers in the company. TSM2 which  is off-site and is used
only as a copy storage pool which is defined on TSM1 and nightly we do a
backup of the primary storage pool (3494libpool2 on TSM1) to the copy
storage pool (DR_POOL1 on TSM2). Unfortunately this is a rather large
amount of data and runs for a very long time and doesn't finish copying in
1 day. My auditors want to make sure that we have 2 copies of all data from
our fileservers, one on-site and one off-site. Anyone have any suggestions
on how to do this in a better fashion? Initially we were having some
problems with the backup not finishing because of a network glitch which
caused the whole process which could have been running for 8 hours or so,
to fail. I believe the network glitches have been solved but the whole
operation still takes a great deal of time, usually 24 hours.
     Because the data is going from tape to tape, I thought about making
another copy storage pool on TSM2 on DISK,instead of TAPE, and making it
have a migration threshold such that the data immediately went to TAPE from
DISK. The DISK would act like a buffer. I don't know if this is even
possible but I'm willing to try anything. Unfortunately adding a faster
link between the 2 servers isn't really an option as we are really budget
contrained. Right now it's only T1.

     Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm willing to rearrange the
whole backup structure if necessary. This is how it was setup when I
adopted TSM.

Thanks much,
John