ADSM-L

recovery log filling

2002-07-25 11:03:16
Subject: recovery log filling
From: "Wholey, Joseph (TGA\\MLOL)" <JWholey AT EXCHANGE.ML DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 11:01:00 -0400
Environment:
TSM SERVER: 4.1.3.0
S/390

We're currently in the process of consolidating 4 TSM servers into 1. Over the
course of about 3 weeks we've been redirecting clients to the new server.
Originally this new TSM server was in logmode
roll forward.  As the volume to this server increased (incrementals and base
incrementals running nightly), our recovery log could not handle the volume.
We changed logmode to normal.  Last night
this server processed 1.4 million files.  Backups started to fail due to a
recovery log full condition.  On prior nights this server's processed well over
2 million files and the recovery log did not
fill.  What's the determining factor?
Also, in normal mode, what determines when the recovery log clears?

Regards, Joe