ADSM-L

Re: diskpool performance

2002-07-25 04:29:47
Subject: Re: diskpool performance
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:27:49 +0200
Hi,

I have noticed that it is very bad for performance to have 10+ diskpools
(we had close to 50 volumes) on one raid5 volume, and have multimpe
volumes being accessed at the same time. We greatly increased throughput
by breaking our raid5 down into jbod, having just a few diskpool volumes
on a disk, and never more than one per storagepool. My disks now do 10+
MB/s (even as much as 20 MB/s) each, while the raid5 did about the same
for the whole raid5 volume. Even worse the raid5 would start to trash
during busy hours because TSM concurrently accesed so many different
files on this one raid5. Which is not an issue any more.