ADSM-L

polling for drives

2002-07-24 14:31:36
Subject: polling for drives
From: Rob Schroeder <robs AT FAMOUSFOOTWEAR DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 13:27:39 -0500
We currently share our tape library with an AS/400.  If the AS/400 is using
a tape drive and TSM needs it, it goes to an unavailable state and the TSM
server then continues to poll the device to check its availability.
However, the TSM server only polls for a certain amount of time and then
gives up.  Sometimes the AS.400 backups take a number of hours and in the
meantime the drives are unavailable to TSM and the TSM server also stops
checking the drive.  Then when TSM backups start it uses 2 instead of 4
drives.  Here is my question.  Is there anyway to increase the amount of
time the TSM server polls the drives so this doesn't happen.  Or does
anyone have any other suggestions on how to get around this issue.

Thanks

Rob