ADSM-L

Re: Dr. Watson Error in drive C:\

2002-07-24 08:56:23
Subject: Re: Dr. Watson Error in drive C:\
From: Christian Astuni <astuni AT AR.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:54:00 -0300
Mark, thanks for your response ... and I answering your question: I do a
archive of drive C: once a week and because I want to have the information
in case the server crahs. I never try to restore this, but if I have and
archive of drive C: and I need to rebuild the server .. that is work with
the archive of drive C: ???

Thanks
Best Regards.

Christian Astuni
IBM Global Services
astuni AT ar.ibm DOT com
Tel. 4898-4621
Hipolito Yrigoyen 2149  - Martínez (1640) Bs. As. - Argentina

                      "Mark D.

                      Rodriguez"               To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <mark@MDRCONSULT.        cc:

                      COM>                     Subject:  Re: Dr. Watson Error
in drive C:\
                      Sent by: "ADSM:

                      Dist Stor

                      Manager"

                      <[email protected]

                      .EDU>

                      23/07/2002 01:50

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

Christian Astuni wrote:

>Hi ... I have a client with TSM Client 4.2 Level 1.20 under NT 4 sp6a. And
>when I want to perform an archive backup of drive C:\ the backup crash
with
>Dr. Watson error as this dsmcsvc.exe Exception: access violation
>(0xc0000005), Address: 0x0047b3b2 and in the dsmsched.log and dsierror.log
>there are empty without errors.
>But when run a incremental backup i dont have problems.
>
>Can anyone help me ???
>Thanks very much.
>
>Can anyone help me ???
>Thanks very much.
>Regards
>
>Christian Astuni

Christian,

This sounds like a combination of problems.

First check to see what permissions you have when the archive is running,
i.e. are you running as local system account or some lower authority who is
not allowed to look at certain files, thereby kicking off the Dr. Watson.
This could be a problem of how you installed your scheduler (dsmcsvc.exe),
my guess is you installed it not using the local system account or your Dr.
Watson setting a bit over zealous.

The reason your incremental works (even if being run with the same
authority as for the archive) is because you probably have exclude
statements that keep you from accessing the inappropriate files, meaning
the ones that Dr. Watson chokes on.  Remember archive only uses the include
statements for binding to the management class and it ignores excludes.

The reason for lack of TSM related messages is because this is not a TSM
related problem.  Dr. Watson sees an access violation so it kills the
process right then and there.  Which does not allow TSM to do any reporting
on the problem.

Now I have a question for you.  Why are you archiving your entire c: drive?
With more information we (meaning this list) could probably give you an
alternative methodology.

--
Regards,
Regards,

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE