ADSM-L

Re: TDP Domino and database links

2002-07-23 14:39:18
Subject: Re: TDP Domino and database links
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:37:18 -0400
> I have a client that is installing the TDP Domino agent, but their mail
> server has grown so that almost half of the mail files (NSF's) in the
> NOTES/DATA directory are links to another drive where the actual database
> resides. Reading the TDP manual, is says that the agent will NOT backup
the
> physical NSF files that do not reside in the NOTES/DATA directory even
> though there is a link file to it. The manual states that a combination
of
> the TDP agent and the B/A client are needed in this case.
>
> One of the main reasons for using the TDP agent is to serialize usage
with
> Domino so you don't end up with a lot of retries and fails because the
NSF
> file(s) is/are in use by Domino. Before moving a different client to the
> agent, we were seeing a high percentage of skipped NSF files per night
due
> to changing or in use. We weren't comfortable using DYNAMIC serialization
> and "fuzzy" backups...hence moving to the agent.
>
> Not having the agent follow the links and backup the actual data NSF file
is
> defeating the purpose of using the agent. Sure  we'll be able to backup
1/2
> of the mail files, but the other have will be problematic at best.
>
> Does anyone have other ways of doing database links in Domino? Or are
there
> plans to add this functionality in a future release of the agent?

Bill,

TDP for Domino will back up the databases correctly.
Even for database and directory links.
Maybe the book could be clearer. TDP for Domino will follow the
database links and directory links and back up the database.
Try it, it will work fine.

The book is trying to state that actual "special files" themselves,
i.e. database links (.NSF files that have a one-liner pointing
to the real database file)and directory links
(.DIR files that point to a different physical directory)
are not backed up.  And so, if you restore a database
that was originally a database link and that database link is not
actually present in the data directory before the restore,
the database will be restored into the data directory as
opposed to where it was originally.

Clear as mud, right? I hope that helps a little.
If not, let me know.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

Never cut what can be untied.
Commit yourself to constant improvement.