ADSM-L

Re: Tape questions

2002-07-22 18:33:43
Subject: Re: Tape questions
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:31:48 -0500
Rob Hefty wrote:

Hello,

We recently removed a  damaged 3584 library tape from our primary tape pool.
We were unable to complete the move data command and the data was
unavailable.  We removed the tape and deleted it from the database.  Luckily
we still have the copy pool tape.  What if we need to do a restore from this
dataset, does TSM know to ask for the copy pool instead of the primary?

Thanks,
Rob Hefty
IS Operations
Lab Safety Supply

Rob,

The answer is YES, if you try to do a restore/retrieve of data that was
on that tape it will get it from the copypool volume if that volume is
available, i,e, not offsite.  However, that is nice and will work but I
would rather be proactive (how do you like that word, managers just
loveit!!) and do a "restore volume" and bring the data back right a way.
Also, this will insure your protection of the data since it will now be
on 2 tapes again.  If your copypool vol;umes are offsite, then you can
run the restore with "preview=yes" to get a list of tapes you will need
to bring on site.

I hope that helps.

--
Regards,
Regards,

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE