ADSM-L

Re: sybase agent

2002-07-19 09:36:43
Subject: Re: sybase agent
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:08:53 -0500
IMHO,

do yourself a favor and buy a couple of 36 GB disks, dump your databases to
disk (dump database master to "/home/database_dumps"), then use TSM to backup
the databases as regular files (dsmc inc /home/database_dumps/).

Doing backups this way allows:
 - extra copy of the database on disk
 - the performance can be great, we can dump our main database at over 40MB/s
 - if you need to load dumps into other servers, you can NFS mount
/home/database_dumps, and then you don't need SQL Backtrack licence for every
box or SQL server

Miles

-------------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557

"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"
----------------------
>>> spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU 18-Jul-02 8:22:22 AM >>>
>>> spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU 18-Jul-02 8:22:22 AM >>>
Hi All,

     Are there any TSM Agents for Sybase available?  Anyone using them,
and if so, are they reliable?

Thanks,

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564)