ADSM-L

Re: Server-to-Server DB backup and recovery

2002-07-19 07:55:10
Subject: Re: Server-to-Server DB backup and recovery
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 04:51:14 -0700
I played around with this a lot in the past but don't have a large use for
it currently.
To do a recovery, you get a basic environment up and running with your
definitions over to your remote server and then just do a dsmserv restore db
as normal using the device class of the remote server and the volser which
was assigned during the backup.  Trick is that you have to get a base server
built up again for the initial communication.  Once I started play'n around
with it, everything went smooth but you really need to have a little test
server set up that you can blow away and rebuild many times to ensure you
have a "good feel" for what all is going on.
If you are worried about getting to an initial point to be able to do a
restore db using a virtual volume from the remote system you can always
backup your db to a flat file and then just use the straight tsm client to
back that flat file up to the remote server, that works fine also but
requires the local disk space and the transfer time to back it up.
For a while I was backing up a TSM server's data base in Houston to a remote
server in Chicago using virtual volumes, worked fine but we have since shut
down the environment in Houston.

later,

Dwight E. Cook
Software Application Engineer III