ADSM-L

Re: TDP Lotus Domino

2002-07-18 11:38:42
Subject: Re: TDP Lotus Domino
From: Bill Dourado <bill.dourado AT ALSTEC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:20:49 +0100
Shannon,

Our TDP Lotus Domino backup is about 20GB daily; and it is direct to tape,
which is colocated. Colocated is best because data on tapes expire at a
rapid rate(depending on your retention policy), and very little reclamation
process
time is required to bring tapes back to scratch.

Bill Dourado

                    Shannon Bach
                    <SBach AT MGE DOT CO        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    M>                   cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     TDP Lotus Domino
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    16/07/02
                    17:06
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

I am in the process of setting up new Domain, etc. to start using the TDP
Lotus Domino for backups.  Currently just using the TSM Client for the
backups with a primary diskpool big enough for all nightly backups and a
primary  cartpool(seq,collocated) where I migrate all the backed-up data
from disk to before the next nightly backup.  Does anyone know if it would
be better to create a separate primary storage pool or can I just send the
TDP data to the same stgpool we are currently using?  Since the seq stgpool
is collocated and the TDP gets a different node name than the TSM Notes
Client, I'm thinking this shouldn't be a problem, but there may be other
issues to take into consideration that I don't know about.  From reading
all the documentation it seems that all the data from the TDP is considered
BACKUP data and not ARCHIVED data.  Is this right?  Any help to increase my
understanding would be greatly appreciated!

Shannon Bach
Madison Gas & Electric Co.
Operations Analyst - Data Center Services
Office 608-252-7260
Fax 608-252-7098
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com