ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restore for TSM

2002-07-18 09:28:52
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restore for TSM
From: Peter Bjoern <pebjn AT WMDATASDC DOT DK>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:20:42 +0200
Hi Tony

It's true that TSM itself does not have a real BMR capability (what a
shame!) and thus it is
probably correct when the TSM folks you have spoken to say that they do not
'support'
a BMR method, but instead refer you to a description of some procedures to
follow if
you have to do a BMR on certain platforms.

However, there is (was) a company called The Kernel Group
(http://www.tkg.com/) who
has a real BRM product that will work with TSM and will work on most of the
common platforms
on which people run TSM.

TKG has now been acquired by Veritas (therefore you will go to a Veritas
site when trying
to go to http://www.tkg.com/).

Veritas still supports the TKG BMR for TSM at least thru ver. 5.1 and after
that we still do
not know yet.

I have no experience with the product, I've just looked at it some time
ago.
There is a white paper describing it's operation with TSM, but it seems to
have been
removed from the Veritas site (for obvious reasons they want the world to
believe
Veritas NetBackup is the way to go).

If you want it, let me know and I'll email it to you.

Regards

Peter