ADSM-L

Re: Slow restore of entire server volume

2002-07-16 03:00:14
Subject: Re: Slow restore of entire server volume
From: Dirk Kastens <Dirk.Kastens AT UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 08:57:54 +0200
Hi,

> We lost a server volume over the weekend - Netware 5.1 server
> - 20 GB or so
> to restore from tape. The process is going extremely slowly;
> it seems that
> most of the time is being spent retrieving tapes, and we have
> only 3.5 GB
> restored so far (started late yesterday afternoon).

Do you have a separate management class for directories (see
the option DIRMC)? During a restore, TSM first recovers the
directory structure and then the files. If you don't have
a directory mangement class, TSM has to search through your
tapes twice.

Regards,

Dirk Kastens............Tel.: +49 541 969-2347
Universitaet Osnabrueck, Rechenzentrum (Computer Center)
Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany