ADSM-L

Re: Slow restore of entire server volume

2002-07-15 16:59:04
Subject: Re: Slow restore of entire server volume
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:56:56 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Nancy Ames
> We lost a server volume over the weekend - Netware 5.1 server -
> 20 GB or so
> to restore from tape. The process is going extremely slowly; it seems that
> most of the time is being spent retrieving tapes, and we have only 3.5 GB
> restored so far (started late yesterday afternoon).

Welcome to the world of non-collocation. If you're using a tape medium that
is not very fast to mount and spin up (DLT, for example), and your client
has non-collocated data, your TSM server is having to bounce around from
location to location on each tape, and from tape to tape, to find each and
every one of its files.

Restoration of collocated data is faster, because it avoids having to mount
and dismount multiple tapes during a restore. Of course, collocation puts a
strain on tape resources, because a given tape volume (or volumes) will have
to be access every time the client is backed up. Another solution is to use
a faster tape medium for NetWare backups--LTO, or IBM 3570 and 3590 media
come to mind.

NetWare appears to be a particularly slow client when it comes to mass
restores, so, yes, I'd say you're not experiencing anything out of the
ordinary, particularly if you're restoring a TSM client that has been a
long-term client (1 year +). The longer the client has been backed up, the
more scattered the client's files will become.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE