ADSM-L

Re: Unknown format

2002-07-12 20:55:34
Subject: Re: Unknown format
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:53:21 -0500
We've got a situation where a large number of NT boxen have been compromised,
servers and desktops.  A server admin, actually the users via management,
complained that system was missing a large number of files on the the
rebuilt/restored machine.  I had the admin retry the restore today so I could
check the ActLog as it happened.  I saw hundreds of ANE4020E messages, and he
reported that 1627 files were not restored.  My recollection was that this was
a case of downlevel client.

Sure enough, the admin had grabbed the first baclient he found and installed it
on the rebuilt machine, V4R2.1, where the original box had been v4R2.4 or
something.  The admin reinstalled with V5R1, retried, and restored 1602 files.
 The remaining 25 had invalid characters in the name.

My recollection was correct, but I wish he had waited a bit before he tried the
upgrade.

Quoting Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>:

> I think it is conceivable, depending on the circumstances. It sure would
> be helpful if you would provide more detail, such as the client level(s)
> involved, TSM server level, OS names/versions, backup and restore scenario
> information (i.e. who backed up the file, and with what client, who's
> trying to restore the file, and with what client), etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andy
>
> Andy Raibeck
> IBM Software Group
> Tivoli Storage Manager Client Development
> Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Tucson/IBM@IBMUS
> Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)
>
> The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.
> The command line is your friend.
> "Good enough" is the enemy of excellence.
>

> Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
> 07/12/2002 10:51
> Please respond to "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>

>         To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>         cc:
>         Subject:        Unknown format
>

> Does message ANE4020E still mean that the client doing the restore is
> downlevel from the client that did the backup??

Fred Johanson