ADSM-L

Please Explain!!" TSM and Windows 2000 Active Directory.

2002-07-12 12:14:08
Subject: Please Explain!!" TSM and Windows 2000 Active Directory.
From: "Consiglio, Tony" <consigli AT BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:12:27 -0400
Hello,
Tim makes a very good point in the last sentence of the 1st paragraph. "It's
tough talking to TSM support when doing Bare
Metal Restores - I get the line - We don't support that!"...

Now I know I have seen some TSM tech support people respond on this
listserv; Could someone please define, once and for all, what TSM means by
Bare Metal restore? I mean..if they "do" support the backup and restoring of
the "guts of Win2K in AD" (i.e. System State/Objects) Why do they say  "We
don't support that!"?

I have spoken with TSM tech support over phone and they say that they can
backup and restore the AD...However, the one answer I got over the phone was
that they(TSM), will not say we support BMR is because they do not want to
get caught up in supporting M.S.'s OS. So please can some one define Bare
Metal Restore?

Thanks