ADSM-L

Re: Expire data on a server that doesnt exist any longer.

2002-07-11 10:16:57
Subject: Re: Expire data on a server that doesnt exist any longer.
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:17:28 -0400
> If I have backup of a server which is out of production. What can I do and
> how, if I want to expire all extra backup copies (versions data exist)
> except the last backup (versions data deleted)?
> I can change mgmtclass but I still have to do a backup to rebind my files.
> If I use a client and log on with 'dsmc -virtualnodename=xyz' and exclude
> E:\...\* , what happens then? Will it expire xyz´s E:\ files or the client
> node E:\ files?

A dsmc command as such won't affect file retentions at all. You will need
to run an incremental backup.

A 'dsmc inc' with the exclude statement and virtualnodename option shown
would affect files from xyz. However, that approach would make me very
nervous about the possibility of an incremental backup with the exclude
statement but not the option. I would be inclined to copy the options
file, put the special exclude statement and a 'nodename xyz' statement in
the copy, and run dsmc with an 'optfile' option telling it to use the
copy.

It is easier to describe the effect of a backup that excludes everything
on the E drive in terms of what happens to backups of a file than in terms
of what happens to backups of an entire population of files. Consider an
active backup of a file that was on xyz's E drive. A backup with the
exclude statement described above would cause this backup to switch to
inactive status. If the number of versions of the file was greater than
the verdeleted parameter of the relevant copy group the next 'expire
inventory' on the TSM server would delete enough of the oldest versions
to get the number of versions down to the verdeleted parameter value.
If there was still more than one version of the file subsequent 'expire
inventory' operations would remove each extra version after it reached
the age limit set by the retextra parameter. Eventually, 'expire
inventory' would remove the last backup version when it passed the age
limit set by the retonly parameter.