ADSM-L

Re: reclamation of unavailable primary tapes (was: w/o subject)

2002-07-10 04:47:33
Subject: Re: reclamation of unavailable primary tapes (was: w/o subject)
From: Lars Bebensee <LBebensee AT HAITEC DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:30:46 +0300
Hi,

First, sorry for sending the message without subject, I guess the human
brain is not supposed to to more than one thing at the same time
(especially mine ;-) ).
I already knew the question of why sending primary tapes offsite will pop
up. The only thing that came to my mind was that the library is not big
enough to hold copies of all the important storage pools. The customer
already uses a DLT-Autochanger as copy destination for some of the primary
storage pools. We are currently busy redesigning the implementation. I am
sure we will not get the customer convinced to buy a bigger library. So
what else could possibly be done to prevent removing tapes from a primary
pool?
The customer's environment consists of:
1x 3575-L18 with 3x3570 (C-Drives)
1x DLT Autochanger 7 Slots with 70GB per tape
Client data is about 800GB

I am not expecting a detailed draft but hints are very welcome

Thanks Lars