ADSM-L

Re: TSM Platform ?

2002-07-05 19:32:03
Subject: Re: TSM Platform ?
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:50:48 +0300
Next best choice is - stay where you are ! Or make some long-waited
upgrades for 20% of the budget - you will get more.
TSM stresses not the operating system itself (excluding TCP/IP stack) but
the box. Thus the question is formulated bad and you will get bad answer.
Ask yourself correct:
We are on RS/6000 with N buses and M slots but TSM should not use more
than half or third of them. We cannot afford IBM pSeries (not AIX) or Sun
Fire (not Solrais) because of budget limitations. So why not to throw our
money for an Intel-based box with 1/6xN buses and 1/5xM slots (Windows,
Linux is still not having a TSM server) and *downgrade* the server there
???
I will not do it but you have the right to try! Guess what my TSM server's
processor is doing - crunching nuts for distributed.net. Count what *does*
affect the performance and forget for a while about bells&whistles.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant