ADSM-L

Re: UDB/TSM Backups directly to tape

2002-07-01 19:10:52
Subject: Re: UDB/TSM Backups directly to tape
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:09:08 +1000
Mike,

The tail is wagging the dog here.

They can specify what they want backed up and when, and you deliver it in
whatever manner you see fit. They should have no say in how.

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin,
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> mike.swinhoe AT UK.ZURICH DOT COM 29/06/2002 0:03:25 >>>
Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to using DB2's  API
(UDB) to backup directly to tape.  I have no experience with DB2 so I would
be grateful if someone to give me a helping hand.  The application team
want to be able to back up to our LTO 3584 directly rather than going via a
storage pool, which I have set it up to do.  Does anyone know what changes
I have to make or is there a Redbook out there which will give me the
answer.  Also they have asked whether TSM can delete a file once it has
been successfully backed up.  I know Arcserve can but can TSM?

Thanks as always,

Mike

Regards,
Michael Swinhoe
Storage Management Group
Zurich Financial Services (UKISA) Ltd.
E-mail:   mailto:Mike.Swinhoe AT UK.Zurich DOT com

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
read, copy or otherwise use it and do not disclose it to anyone else.
Please notify the sender of the delivery error and then delete the
message from your system.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.

Communications will be monitored regularly to improve our service and for
security and regulatory purposes.

Thank you for your assistance.

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.