ADSM-L

Re: Backing Up Oracle DB with TSM 4.2.1

2002-06-27 14:07:21
Subject: Re: Backing Up Oracle DB with TSM 4.2.1
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 14:05:24 -0400
That's exactly the way we do it. The schedules for the Oracle COLD backups
are ACTION=COMMAND and OBJ='script filename'. The shell script sets the
return code so we can report on the event completion status. The script also
does some other internal checking and notifying outside of TSM. We had to
argue with the DBA's to use the TSM scheduler vs. cron, but when we
explained that WE would be maintaining the schedules, WE would be doing the
monitoring for completion and THEY wouldn't have to do very much...well,
they agreed.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.