ADSM-L

Archive Question

2002-06-26 12:57:19
Subject: Archive Question
From: "Lawson, Jerry W (ETSD, IT)" <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:55:30 -0400
Date:           June 26, 2002                   Time: 12:34 PM
From:   Jerry Lawson
                The Hartford Insurance Group
860     547-2960                jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
-
-
I have seen some strange behavior with Archives that I can't explain - looks
I have seen some strange behavior with Archives that I can't explain - looks
like a bug to me.

I archive some access logs for a period of 60 days.  I also use the
-deletefiles option to have TSM scratch the files after they are archived.
I enter the following command:
I enter the following command:

        Dsmc archive -archmc=60days -deletefiles
/opt/file/directory/seven/layers/deep/log.*

There are 2 files to be archived that match the log.* criteria each night.

The first strange thing that I see is that the archive process, even with
one command, runs twice - one for each log file, and it archives the file
and the 7 individual levels of the directory structure.  Thus I have 8 items
archived - the 7 directory entries, and the file itself.  When the second
file runs, it again does 8 items, even though the seven directories were
being done again.

The second strange occurrence occurs when the 60 day retention is up.  When
I go look on the server, what I see are entries for the days that are more
than 60 days past.  When I look in one of the entries, what I see are the 7
levels of directories, but when I get to the last level, there are no files
there.

Why weren't the directory entries deleted when all of the files in the
structure were deleted?  The structure is indeed empty.  As it stands now, I
have thousands of extra entries archived for no (apparent) good reason.
-
-
                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over....and expecting the results
to be different - Anon.

immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all
copies.