ADSM-L

Why my LAN free backup even slower then my LAN backup

2002-06-26 12:33:07
Subject: Why my LAN free backup even slower then my LAN backup
From: Mike Brown <mike_brown_tsm AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:26:05 -0700
Why my LAN free backup even slower then my LAN backup?

I got really bad performance, 1.2MBps for LAN, 900KBps for LANfree Backup.

My TSM server is Version 4.2.1.11 in AIX 4.3.3, p640, 1 power3 processor, 1G
memory;

My TSM Storage Agent veriosn 4.2.1.11 on Win2k Advanced server, TSM client
4.2.1.20 on same machin, this is a compaq Deskpro EP/SB, 1 PII 350MHz
processor, 256M memory, Emulex LP800 HBA;

3583 Library, 2109 Switch, 2108r03 bridge;

During LANFree Backup, performance is about 900KBps, win2k host have 15% CPU
utilization, 70% Disk I/O, memory utilization keep low, , even worse then LAN
backup; Paramenters: TCPWINDOWSIZE 63(IBM recommaned in release notes);
TCPBUFFSIZE 512; RESOURCEUTILIZATION 50 (looks like same as set to 10);

During LAN backup, the tsm client win2k host have 95% CPU utilization,
performance is about 1.2MBps;

I hate this Compaq crap. None of the individual are full utilizated, e.g. CPU,
Memory, or DISK IO, but the whole system together is just simply slow.

What should be my performance expectation, how come my LAN free backup even
slower then my LAN backup?

For some other host, I am OK, e.g:

When I use the other RS/6000 P640 box as the TSM LAN client, I can get 7.0MBps
by using LAN backup;

When I use the other IBM NetVista, 950MHz, Intel, 256M Memory, I can get
1.9MBps by using LAN, with 100% Disk IO Usage;

Mike Brown