ADSM-L

Re: TSM Platform ?

2002-06-26 08:54:45
Subject: Re: TSM Platform ?
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:52:36 +0300
Don,

if you allow me I prefer Jack's order - Sun or even HP-UX before WinNT/2k
if any mentioning of SAN is made.
The way Win2k deals with SAN zoning, naming or any
addition/removal/reconfiguration in the fabric is just terrible. I had no
chance to experiment with XP or (God help me) .Net but to be honest do not
intend to try until forced to. Plug-n-Pray Windows functionality is
playing bad jokes in the most dangerous field of corporate data - the SAN.
Rule of thumb - avoid SAN-attached Windows machines (no matter TSM server,
TSM MgSysSAN or ordinary appl. servers) at any cost or at least separate
them in a fabric zone far from your responsibility. The rest is playing
with open fire.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant