ADSM-L

Re: NSM Upgrade Experience

2002-06-20 16:41:27
Subject: Re: NSM Upgrade Experience
From: "Peter Pijpelink - P.L.C.S. BV Storage Consultants" <tsm AT PLCS DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:38:42 +0200
The best result I heared so far was a customer who switched his RS/6000 in
the NSM with a windows 2000 server, and also used the SSA disks took same
time and less pain......

Peter

At 15:24 20-06-2002 -0400, you wrote:
As I understand, support for TSM 4.1 expires June 30, 2002. So if you want
to be supported, you have no choice but to upgrade to TSM 4.2.

We too have been trying to implement EC017 on our NSM, and have had two
failed attempts at the upgrade. The upgrade to AIX 5 and TSM 4.2.1.9
requires an AIX load from 4mm tape. We got a bad 4mm tape. You know, WORN
technology (Write Once, Read Never). About 10% of the way into the upgrade
to AIX 5 we couldn't read the tape. Tried and tried and tried. But it was
bad. We had to recover from the MKSYSB we did that morning.  That's why we
take MKSYSB's.

The second time we tried the EC script failed because \dbaa1dk31\db has on
HDISK2. Huh? How did that happen. It turned out that when the recover was
done from the MKSYSB all the HDISKS were renumbered by AIX. It took us a
couple days with Level II support to get that straightened around. Took
Level II about 4 hours dialed in running AIX commands to re-do things and
put \dbaa1dk31\db back on HDISK31.

We have scheduled our third attempt at EC017 for Sunday, June 30. I've also
been told by Level II that anyone preparing to install EC017 should open a
PMR prior to the upgrade so support can track the activity. I was also told
that not very many NSM sites have done this upgrade, so many will be out of
support.

And what's this about OS patch 5100-02. Where do I get it and where do I
find these kinds of patches? Is there some piece of documentation I've
missed or did I just not catch something?

Good luck to all!!!
John G. Talafous
Information Systems Technical Principal
Global Software Support - Data Management
telephone:  (330)-471-3390
e-mail:     talafous AT timken DOT com
http://www.ctnvm.inside.tkr/~talafous/
http://www.cis.corp.inside.tkr/networkstorage/