ADSM-L

Re: hardware questions before I buy

2002-06-18 11:01:43
Subject: Re: hardware questions before I buy
From: Stephen Pole <spole AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 23:06:15 +0800
Hi there,

I agree with Zlatko Krastev, he has made some very good points.

For what it worth, if these guys offer a 30 day money back guarantee, then I
see no reason why you can not have the system they propose in trial. If it
works under "FULL SYSTEM LOAD" fine buy it, after you do the metrics on the
system.... if not tell them to take a flying leap and don't waste your time
on this...
 I had a similar situation with STK SCSI cubes a while ago, I knew it wasn't
right, but had to prove it to the "bean counters" it wouldn't ..... end
result ... 2 days lost production...... Did I say I told them so ... of
course I did.... But at least they realised the false economy.

IMHO, TSM really requires a High Performance environment. Its cost of
ownership is considerably lower than other solutions, hardware and software,
and it does not take a mountain of people to keep it alive.....

Another consideration is to but (used) SSA. SSA disks really move on an H70,
and used prices are pretty keen. Everything is relative to your budget
though..

Good luck and let us all know what happens

Stephen.