ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.2/AIX setup questions

2002-06-17 09:09:22
Subject: Re: TSM 4.2/AIX setup questions
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:07:04 +0200
> 6) To *SM, all backups are incrementals (except for the first backup of a
>    new client), is my general understanding. Is there a way to force a
>    full backup of a particular client as an one-time operation? I'm
>    guessing maybe not, but thought I might try asking, anyway. :)
> A. This is called an 'archive'. There is plenty of docs on this.

Or selective, for backups. If you have any reason to believe you're going to
do a restore of a system on non-colocatied tapes, do a selective first, this
saves a lot of tape-mounts in case your storage pool is really big (several
100's of tapes).

> 7) The biggest single question... I don't have a real good understanding
> of   the purpose of copy stgpools. I've read a lot of documentation --
> hundreds   of pages of multiple docs, re-read, read old adsm-l mail,
> Google searches,   etc... but still just don't quite 'get it'. I can set
> up HACMP clusters,   debug really obscure things, but this eludes me. ;)

In case the priamay sotragepool tape fails, breaks, catches fire or any
other disaster you can think of that may make your primary tape unusable,
you can restore the data from the copy storage pool. You'll find that most
people send the copy pool off-site so those can be used in case a boing
lands on the primary tapes and takes out the robot....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams