ADSM-L

Re: TDP Domino

2002-06-14 00:17:42
Subject: Re: TDP Domino
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:15:41 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Gill, Geoffrey L.
> We, meaning the Notes guys, had got things working with the Domino agent
> recently. To backup the backups the nsf files were being backed up by the
> regular baclient till we figured out if the TDP we configured was working
> properly. On Monday we added an exclude to remove the nsf files from the
> standard backups and all of a sudden the Domino Monday to Friday
> incremental
> backups went from backing up 300+ DB's to less than 10.
>
> Can anyone explain why this happened? We know for fact there should have
> been at least 100 db's that changed and should have backed up. Should we
> also have separate dsm.opt files for each of the 3 Domino type backups we
> have doing, archive, incremental and selective?

The TDP for Domino agent only backs up the full database when there is a
change in the database's ID number. In Domino, this only happens when Domino
is stopped and restarted, or when the database/mailfile is compacted or
otherwise reorganized. Otherwise, the TDP agent only backs up the logs
associated with the files.

Test it. Compact a selected group of .nsf files, and then check the TSM
schedule logs the next morning. A good beer says they've been fully backed
up.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MSCE